Senior Business Executive with a major sports organization. Former partner in top 20 international law firm.
- Astute legal, financial, business management, analytical and leadership skills resulting in the ability to quickly assess the most effective and cost-efficient ways to positively impact major aspects of the baseball industry
- Cultivating innovative marketing opportunities that enhance franchise values and increase revenues while strengthening fan appeal
- Creation of grass roots programs that grow the game nationally and internationally and build a diversified fan base
2012 to Present
President and CEO, Dartvard LLC Sports Consulting Agency
Dartvard specializes in strategic consultation for sports organizations. They provide advice, intensive management and mentoring for athletes looking to advance their level of play and professional engagement.
• Navigate legal issues
• Negotiate contracts
• Tactical business analysis
• Management solutions
6/10 to 6/12
Executive Vice President, Baseball Development, MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, New York, NY
Ultimate responsibility for various matters relating to the expansion of Major League Baseball’s commitment to the development of strategic alliances and platforms which focuses on the creation of a more diversified workforce, fan base and increased youth participation
• Oversee existing network of Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academies in Compton, Houston and Puerto Rico and the development of several others in markets across the country
• Execute numerous tournaments and youth events geared toward engaging and spotlighting underserved youth, including the Breakthrough Series, the Urban Invitational and Baseball Bootcamp, games of which are broadcast nationally on MLB Network
• Cultivate annual Civil Rights Game events, which will be largely expanded this year in the new host city of Atlanta
• Supervise relationship with Minor League Baseball and its related entities
• Extended Professional Baseball Agreement until 2020, providing player development certainty and a minimum of $200M in revenue to Major League Baseball
6/05 to 6/10
Executive Vice President, Baseball Operations, MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, New York, NY
Executive management and ultimate accountability for all baseball-related matters. Budget oversight of all aspects of Major League Operations, Minor League Operations, International Operations, the Major League Baseball Scouting Bureau, the Arizona Fall League, Major League Umpires, Security and Facility Management, On Field Discipline and Youth and Facility Development.
• Opened inaugural Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academy in February 2006, which will be the flagship of a national network of facilities dedicated to bringing baseball back to the youth of urban America
• Implemented unprecedented state-of-the-art technology for use in connection with umpire training and evaluation
• Launched Major League Baseball’s annual Civil Rights Game, a weekend which pays homage to all those on and off the field who led the charge for civil rights and equality
• Through the Academy, launched Major League Baseball Umpire Camps to offer initial instruction
for current and future umpires and assist in the diversification of the umpire corps at the Major and
Minor League levels
• Cultivated Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft into a premier media event, with live broadcast cable television and internet video coverage
• Led Baseball Operations participation in the inaugural World Baseball Classic, showcasing Major
League and non-Major League talent throughout the world
• Fostered key international player development relationships with academies and partnerships in Australia, Italy, China and Puerto Rico, while maintaining MLB’s significant long-term ventures and alliances in Latin America, Japan, Korea and Taiwan
2/00 to 6/05
Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, New York, NY
Senior management and budget oversight for Major League Operations, Minor League Operations, International Operations, the Major League Baseball Scouting Bureau and the Arizona Fall League. Responsible for Major League regulations and rules administration, contracts, facilities, ground rules, protests and ceremonies, including securing all necessary approvals. Initially conceptualized and engaged funding for Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academy, which strives to make tangible contributions to the minority community and cultivate diversity in all aspects of the game. Responsible for the continued logistical and financial development and operation of the Academy, which is providing urban youth not only with on- the-field instruction, but education in baseball-related disciplines such as umpiring, coaching, sports journalism and grounds keeping.
- Negotiated a 10-year agreement between Major League Baseball and the Minor Leagues in 2005 creating an economic benefit of more than $200M for the Major Leagues
- Established the mechanism for MLB Advanced Media to obtain all Minor League internet rights
- Created the All-Star Futures Game, which has become a highlight of Major League All-Star Week and is broadcast each year nationally on ESPN-2
- Raised $5 million for initial capital expenses for MLB Urban Youth Academy
- Established facility monitoring program for Major League Clubs
- Developed industry information network for minority hiring for executive and on field baseball positions
- Created the Minority Umpire Scholarship Program, which provides annual scholarships to qualified minority individuals to attend umpire school for placement within the baseball industry
7/91 to 2/00
Executive Director of Minor League Operations, MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, New York, NY
*Director of Minor League Operations 1991-1994*
Oversight of Minor League Operations on behalf of Major League Baseball. Responsible for transformation and continuous improvement of Minor League clubs to first class business operations, which included
ongoing review, inspection and assessment of facilities; approval of operating territories, expansion, transfers
of ownership; monitoring of financial viability; creation and enforcement of all travel and accommodation standards; and the establishment of policies and procedures designed to enhance the overall harmonious and interactive relationship between Major League Baseball and its Minor League affiliates.
- Negotiated a 10-year agreement between MLB and the Minor Leagues in 1997, which created an economic benefit of $170M to the Major Leagues
- Implemented a new umpire development system in 1997 which provided more than $5M in annual savings to the Major League Clubs
- Established Minor League facility improvement program which has given rise to overwhelming increases in franchise values and attendance
- Of 160 Minor League facilities, 85% have been substantially upgraded or newly built since 1991
- Minor League franchise values have increased, on average, by more than 100% since 1991
- Minor League attendance has increased from 29M in 1991 to over 43 million in 2008
- Aided in the development of an unprecedented Minor League group licensing program, resulting in over $20M in royalties
- Implemented a smokeless tobacco ban throughout the Minor Leagues
- Testified before the House Judiciary Committee in 1993 on Major League Baseball’s anti-trust exemption
6/81 to 6/91
Partner, BAKER & HOSTETLER, LLP, Washington, D.C. *Associate 1981-1990*
SPORTS – Advised Major League Baseball clubs, specifically those in the American League. Counseled the National Football League Management Council. Advised and represented NFL personnel in arbitration hearings. Represented front office personnel in the United States Football League. Negotiated contracts for Division One head football coach positions.
CORPORATE AND GENERAL – Counseled corporations, partnerships and individuals on a variety of business issues, including the negotiation and drafting of stock subscription agreements, buy-sell agreements, partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, work-out arrangements, employment contracts and consultant agreements. Advised entities on the formation, purchase and sale of businesses. Counseled clients on incidental legal issues arising from the above-mentioned matters.
Key Corporate Industries (partial client list):
Hyatt Corporation, DC Medical Society, Hoecht Celenese – Advanced Technology Group, National Bank of Washington, The Soap & Detergent Association, The Aluminum Association, The National Capital Reciprocal Insurance Company
LEGISLATIVE AND GOVERNMENTAL – Plotted legislative strategy in federal government and in the District of Columbia. Lobbied members of the District of Columbia City Council and Executive Branch. Prepared white papers. Monitored legislative activities. Worked with committees exercising their oversight capacities.
1987 to 1995 President and Co-Owner, Onyx Travel Services, Inc. Washington, D.C.
1991 to 1997 Co-Owner, Sign Of The Whale (restaurant), Washington, D.C.
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA
Juris Doctor, 1981
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
Bachelor of Arts, History, 1978
• Board Director, NAACP Legal Defense Fund
• Board Director, Baseball Tomorrow Fund
• Board Director, Minor League Players Insurance Trust
• Board Director, Triplecrown Acquisition Corp.
• Vice Chairman, Citizenship Through Sports Alliance
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity (nation’s oldest black fraternity)
• National Congressional Award Foundation
• Admitted to practice law before local and federal courts in the District of Columbia
• Sports Illustrated 101 Most Influential Minorities in Sports (no. 9) – May 2003
• Black Enterprise 50 Most Powerful African Americans in Sports – Mar. 2005
• Ebony Sports Power 150 (no. 3, Sports) – Dec. 2009
• Ebony Power 100 – 2010
• Rainbow PUSH Coalition Jesse Jackson Sports Person of the Year – July 2008
• Negro Leagues Baseball Museum John Henry “Pop” Lloyd Legacy Award – Jan 2008
• National Action Network Triumph Award – 2011
• Career Gear Sportsman of the Year – May 2008
• Congressional Horizon Award – June 2009
• League of African-American Women, honoree, 15th Annual Impressions of Mahogany Luncheon — Dec. 2007
• June Family Foundation 2009 Overall Sports Business Entrepreneur & Community Service Award
Spanish: Equivalent of 2 years college training; four-month course of study at the University of Granada, Granada, Spain